- Glass, Max
- (June 12, 1881, Jaroslau, Galicia, Austria-Hungary [now Jaroslaw, Poland]-July 18, 1965, Paris, France)The son of a Jewish jeweler, he settled in Vienna with his parents. Having graduated with a diploma in philosophy, he published articles and novels before moving to Berlin, where he started a career as a screenwriter. In 1920, his second novel, Die entfes-selte Mescheit, was brought to the screen by Joseph Delmont. In 1928, he created his own production company, Max Glass Film Produktion GmbH, which notably financed Leontines Ehemanner (Robert Wiene, 1928) and Das Schiff der verlorenen Menschen / Le Navire des Hommes perdus (Maurice Tourneur, Germany / France). He fled Nazi Germany and took refuge in Paris in 1933. He founded two French production companies, Flora Film (1933) and Arcadia Films (1937). A French citizen since 1939, he was deprived of his new nationality in 1942. He spent World War II in Brazil and then the USA. Having returned to France in 1948, he created his last film production society, Max Glass Films, which produced a few shorts and three feature-length movies.Filmography1923 ◘ Der Mann mit der eisernen Maske / UK: The Man with the Iron Mask (also producer; Germany)◘ Bob und Mary (also screenwriter, producer; Germany)1936 ◘ La Reine des Resquilleuses (co-director with Marco de Gastyne; also producer)1953 ◘ Le Chemin de Damas (also screenwriter, adapter, dialogist, co-producer)
Encyclopedia of French film directors . Philippe Rège. 2011.